Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A day in the life.


When I talk to some of my friends back home, they all seem to think that Malaysia is a third world country, or that I'm in the middle of nowhere living in a hut. I'm ashamed to say that some of my friends even thought that Malaysia was located somewhere off of the coast of Africa (its not, it's in Southeast Asia). I want to take some time and show you what my daily life is like, and what exactly I do here, as well as show through pictures and my descriptions that although Malaysia is a very different place, it is not by any means a third world country. I happen to be in one of the lesser developed states of Malaysia, but that does not mean that everyone lives in shacks and subsists on coconuts. There are families here, families with minivans, families that like to go to the movies, families that eat dinner together at the table. People here are basically just like people in America, and have the same wants, desires, pressures, and shortcomings. There are a few major differences here, and those differences make Malaysia a really interesting place to live. The dynamics between different races and religions can be quite heated are a subject for an entire textbook, so I'm afraid I will have to leave that one for later. They are quite interesting to follow, on the other hand.

Now, on to my life, my everyday life. I do not live in a village. I do not hunt for my food. I do not wear a loin clothe and track prey with a blowpipe. I live in an apartment building a little bit nicer than my senior apartment at UMBC. It does not have airconditioning or hot water, but then again I don't really need those things. It is hot here, don't get me wrong, but a good ceiling fan takes care of things quite comfortablely. And when the temperature is so high, who needs hot water anyway? So, at any rate, here is a sample of my daily routine. I awake at dawn, shower, shave, get dressed in a button-up shirt and slacks and head downstairs where my ancient 70cc motorbike waits. I drive about 2 miles to work, obeying the speed limit mostly because I can't go faster than 35 mph or so. The obstacles are a little different from American roads. Since I live in a rural area, I sometimes have to watch out for cows, goats, water buffalo, or even monkeys as well as the usual assortment of cars, trucks, and tractor trailers. Sometimes traffic gets backed up both ways as far as the eye can see because a large bull has decided the middle of the road is a great place to hang out. After negotiating through the traffic, I arrive at school, and enjoy a cup of coffee while I check my email from a wireless router set up above my classroom. After that, I usually head to the school teachers' café and enjoy some good Malay food. That's right, a public school that serves good food. There usually some cakes and doughnuts available, made fresh onsite, and my favourite is a mix of coconut milk, glutenous rice, and brown sugar. Breakfast is usually nasi lemak. It's made from rice soaked in coconut milk, cucumbers, dried and salted fish, a fried egg, a piece of chicken or tuna, and a spicy chili sauce. To properly enjoy it, you must use your hands, and take a little of each ingredient in every bite. Malay etiquette does not require the use of silverware, and to be quite honest, it makes things easier to manage. I hate eating fried chicken with a fork and knife anyway.

After breakfast, I head to my classroom, being sure to leave the door open. There are many times when the students have class and the teacher gets called away to a meeting somewhere, leaving them unattended. There is a schedule of replacement teachers, drawn from the pool of all the teachers with an opening in their schedule, but the placements are not followed with sincerity. The result is at least twenty bored students at any given time roaming the school grounds looking for something to do, so I leave my door open in case they want to come in and practice their English. I travel all over Malaysia, sometimes as part of my job and sometimes on my own, and they seem to love the pictures. Everyday, at least four or five wander through my doors looking for something interesting. Sometimes we play games, my personal favourite being chess, and sometimes we just make jokes about anything from my arm hair to English itself. Some of the students have started to call me "Cikgu Bulu," which means, Mr. Body Hair. I am after all, the only person in the area with hair on his chest, and to be quite honest, I think the name is kind of funny. It stuck.

I usually have two eighty-minute classes per day, but since everyone is usually late, they wind up being more like an hour. I see a total of roughly five hundred students on a two week rotating schedule. I think this is much different than almost every other teacher at the school, but the benefit is that I get some exposure with a large group of students. I don't know how much tangible teaching I do, but at least the students can look forward to my class as a certain break from their usual routine. Because I only see each class every two weeks, my lessons can have very little continuity, so I'm not really able to teach anything that takes more than one session to accomplish. I usually fill the time with various games and puzzles with candy as a reward. I try and pick activities that are group based so the strong and weak students can mix and help each other out if necessary. One of my particular favourites is a game I call "Draw the Teacher." After a basic review of the major parts of speech, I divide the students into two groups and give each team a piece of chalk. One person from each team comes up to the board and waits for instructions. I say, "Draw Mr. Len's....EARS!" and after they have drawn something, usually ridiculous, I make them use an adjective to describe whatever they've created. They can ask their team for help if they like, and no repeating adjectives. The students have a great time since they're encouraged to make fun of their teacher (a truly rare opportunity) and broaden their descriptive capabilities.

After class, I head back to the school canteen for a light lunch, almost always with rice. I eat with the students on occasion, but most of them are so shy they spend most of their lunch staring at their food and praying that I don't ask them a question. At most, I can get two words out of the shy ones, whereas the interested ask to borrow books. Indeed, I just lent my copy of The Hobbit to one of my better students. He loved it.

After school gets out, I head to my moto, hustle home, and hop on my bicycle. The hottest part of the day has passed, but I still load on the sunscreen before heading out and roaming the town or countryside for a few hours as fast as my legs will let me. Exercising is not exactly part of the local culture, so I am sure to get plenty of stares as I meander through narrow roads or weavie through busy streets. Often, I can keep up with cars and motorbikes, and the surprised looks I get from the drivers are priceless. The thought of being passed on the street by a sweaty white guy on a bicycle is the last thing that they expect. I try to take my iPod with my and listen to my downloaded news podcasts to stay in touch with affairs in the U.S. from a U.S. perspective. The local news outlets are a little too government influenced for my liking and my body is worked by the bike while my mind stays busy processing whatever National Public Radio has to say. Its not a bad combination.

After I am dehydrated enough so that I can't go much further, I head back to my apartment, shower, and go out to a café (warung) to eat dinner. Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper for me to eat out than cook for myself. And since I don't have air conditioning, firing up the stove is something that I save for only special occasions. When I have a craving for pasta or a real hamburger, sometimes I light it up, but not very often.

After dinner, I head out for some extracurricular fun. When I first arrived, I would go for lessons in Silat (Malaysian martial arts), but I have lately been going back to school to work with a group of students that have expressed a particular interest in working with me. I seriously feel like my most successful exchanges have been with these kids, and I think it is mostly because they are completely free of their usual classroom environment. WIth them, I act like myself, answer anything they ask (within reason of course, I don't think its my place to explain to them anything related to drugs, sex, or alcohol). And you know what, with me, they act like real high school age students as opposed to the quite, shy, and obedient façade they take up during the day. They laugh freely, make dirty jokes, talk openly about almost anything, and ask questions that they would never dare ask of teachers. Some of them have even had the courage to ask, "Mr. Len, what do you think of Islam?" I answer honestly, "I think it is taken very seriously here, and can be quite beautiful." More on that subject later.

So what exactly do we do together? Well, I have been doing stage theatre since the age of four. I am proud to say that I was in fact Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in my pre-school Christmas play. I've seen old VHS tape, it is very cute. I have played many different roles in many different types of plays, everything from a Broadway musical to Shakespeare, and some of my most precious memories are of being backstage, waiting for my entrance and listening to the audience find their seats on the other side of the closed curtain. I thought that I might be qualified to share this experience with some of the more outgoing students here and provide them with a much-needed way to express themselves. The kids spend so much time preparing for hugely important national standardized tests in tightly controlled classroom environments (when the teacher is present) that they rarely get a chance to really push themselves or explore any aspect of their personalities that falls outside the regimen of school activities. Don't get me wrong, there are art classes and sports teams, but the participants don't really get to do what they want to do or set their own agenda. If you ask me the combination of teaching chiefly to the national exams as well a culture that seems to value unity rather than individual expression leads to a gross lack of creativity. So, I wanted to give some of the most independent and outgoing students a chance to do something completely different.

I wrote a short skit about an American teacher coming to a Malaysian school (original, yes?) and held auditions. I made several announcements over the PA system, both in English and apparently hilarious Malay, and when I arrived at the appointed time and place, there were nearly 120 girls waiting for me. They all seemed lost and confused, so I explained once more what an audition was and why I asked them to come here. Some of the students with better English nodded their heads and explained it to the rest, after which nearly everyone got up and left. Almost no one really wanted to be in it. Of those that had come, there were roughly twenty girls left, and not a sign of the boys, who wound up strolling in late. As usual. Upon arrival, they started to disrupt and interrupt what we were doing. My first impulse was to tell them to get lost. If they couldn't come on time for auditions, could they handle coming to rehearsal? But I needed boys, I couldn't be left alone in a room with a group high school girls and not get come uncomfortable looks from teachers and administrators. And I don't think it was because I am an American, but instead because I am a young man. When it comes to sexual matters, people here are, at least officially, quite conservative. So I explained again what was going on and most of them left after yelling obnoxious things in Malay at me, I think mostly to compensate for their shyness and unwillingness to stay and speak. Most of the boys that stayed and auditioned got in.

At the end of the whole process, I had twelve talented and wonderful kids, all of whom could speak decent English, and all of them with vibrant personalities and only a few traces of shyness, which mostly disappeared after the first rehearsal. There were fourteen total: three boys and eleven girls. Unfortunately, two of them were banned by their father (they are sisters) from participating when he found out what we were doing and when we were meeting. I'm still not really sure why as I was not given the privilege of speaking with him, but I think that it was because he simply did not want his daughters to be out at night. To me this sounded ridiculous, and I believe it sounded ridiculous to their mother as well, but she was unable to argue with her husband, from what I gather, out of fear. I would like to think that this type of decision making is the exception rather than the rule, but it is not the first time I have heard parents "protecting" their daughters by forbidding them to go out in the evening. The whole concept, although I understand the logic, is still hard for me to swallow. It also not the first time I have heard of a dominating patriarch making rather extreme decisions.

Anyway, now down to twelve, we had a few rehearsals, and then performed for an audience of school children gathered from around the state. Each of the seven remaining Fulbright English Teacher Assistants hosted some type of performance, everything from choral speaking, to a short skits, to small vocal ensembles. We performed, and we rocked. I'll try and see if I can get ahold of the video footage, but I think we stood out from many of the other performances because, well, I think the audience thought we were hilarious and the group of kids that performed did so at the very best of their abilities. And so, I would like to publicly and electronically congratulate the students involved: Sharul, Zam, Fazrin, Aim, Iran, Wawa, Umi, Arin, Neesa, Waheeda, Eda, and Fatin. I would also like to thank Puan Nor Azahan and Puan Aminah for coming to rehearsals after their evening prayers and helping me in any way they could, as well as Puan Tan for driving us to Kuala Terengganu. I would not have been able to get things done without their help and coordination. I had the privilege of being in the show with the students, as a schoolboy, and from what I gather, students, teachers, several American visitors, as well as many government officials sincerely enjoyed what we did. Thank you everyone!

The students and I celebrated afterward with a traditional pizza party, which believe it or not is insanely expensive here. I think they have to import the cheese from halfway across the world or something. You know, I thought that getting close to students might not have been the best idea, simply because when I leave saying goodbye to them is going to be extremely hard. I was right, it is a bad idea. I don't know if I'm ever going to see any of these kids again, but if they are reading this, I want them to know that my best experiences teaching in Malaysia were with them. I'll miss them dearly.

NOTE: Before I end this post, I would like to invite all of those who read this blog to freely comment on my entries. Please, be open and honest. I want this to not only be a way for me to update everyone at home on what I'm doing, but also to create an open environment where any issue can be discussed, as well as provide a way for people in both Malaysia and America to open up a sincere dialogue about ideas generated by the content of my articles. I will gladly post responses under the name "leninmalaysia" every few days if a response does in fact result . If, however, your comment is rude or disrespectful in any way to Americans or Malaysians AS PEOPLE I will delete your comment. Examples of comments that will get deleted: (1) Why are all Americans so fat? (2) Why are Malay girls so hot? (3) anything insulting religion or culture. I do, however, welcome criticism of government policy, on either side, as long as things are kept fairly civil. I know that I do not wholeheartedly agree with every policy from either country.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leonard, while I did not think you lived in a shack, it was nice getting a better picture as to what you have been doing there so far away from us. To your students that read your blog, I am glad you guys took the time and had the interest to listen to Mr. Hairy Body (he does have a lot of it!) Listening to you talk about your experiences has definitely made me think a lot more about what goes on outside our borders. Especially since in my Environmental Studies class Malaysia was mentioned. I unfortunately may not have been paying too much attention at the moment but I do recall the teacher speaking about the country. Can't wait for you to come home and show some more pics Leonard!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Len said...

Hammy!

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom. I owe you a coffee and I can't tell you enough how much I want you to go to Japan and see things outside SE CT. The world is a great place, get out there and look for yourself!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we ask rude questions about Mr. Body Hair???

Ellen in Connecticut

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Len, for that great picture of your life there. It is what I have been wishing for. I guess some of your students are finally getting over "it" and maybe your immersion camp will go better the next time, if there is one. Doesn't help the ones who won't do it, but still... How old are most of the students in your pictures?

I have a relative (Andy's foster-brother's posslq's nephew!) who goes to Japan to teach English. He just goes, and knocks on the door of some school and offers his services. He has been very successful, in a Unitarian definition of "success".

Best wishes,
Ellen again

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ashamed that I could not have done more for my community when I lived and taught in China. I must admit after a year in China, I wanted nothing to do with China, Chinese people, or Chinese Food. Your dedication to the Malay and your teaching duties is laudable. I suppose I don't have your heart, compassion, or patience.

Great blog! Keep it up and make sure to have some fun.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, as well, never figured you to be living in squalor, shack-like conditions. From the photos you've posted through your journey, it all just seems more.. pure, I suppose.

I had some players on my table the other night who spoke Malay... it was a blast to hear a new language, and made me think of you immediately.

And why am I not surprised that you managed to put your love of theater together with your newest joy :)

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful blog! i'm a malaysian who used to teach ESL in England to foreign learners (how weird is that?) and I find your blog so fascinating. If you are in need of wacky materials with a local flavour for reading and comprehension I'd be honoured if you plunder my blog. Keep up the good work, Len. Tahniah!

4:10 PM  
Blogger KnowingMe said...

As I approach the deadline for the Fulbright I thought I'd check in with you, and wow! What an amazing post, thank you for being so detailed and sharing it, it really illuminates what undertaking an ETA in Malaysia is all about! You can't shut off from your students because they are exactly why you are there. It certainly brightened a perspective that was beginning to get bogged down in paperwork!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Len, we have a UMBC student applying to be an ETA in Malaysia and she's kind of a female Len to tell the truth. She's compact, vaguely blond, very outgoing, a strong student, a lot of fun, and ready for an international adventure. She wants to be a foreign service officer and has been super active in Model U.N. even at the national level. Your blog has been incredibly helpful to her as she developed her ideas for her essays. I wish you could meet her when you come to UMBC. I loved the photos of the theatrical. I am sure that having you playing the part of a student made it all hilarious. I also thought your answer to the question about your views on Islam was excellent. Spoken like a true UU.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Len: even in a straightforward account of your daily routine, one perceives the deep-rooted tensions arising from a conflict of liberal and conservative values. Your thought-provoking entry appears to suggest that conservative cultural norms can generate protective, paternalistic responses toward young women, but this prompts me to ask whether there are any legitimate reasons why families would implement a strict curfew, for example, in the case that crimes directed against the female gender are more common or have more dire consequences than in a society that holds more liberal values across the board.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remain a firm believer in the power of artistic expression to do all sorts of things that even the most creative lesson plan can't do. And I think theatre or music are good entry points...not quite as controversial probably as, say, dance. But here's my thought: as much difference as it made in all lives involved on a one time basis, how much broader an impact it might make if it was somehow sustainable? I'm not saying that unsustainable projects have no worth...I think they do. But while I hear of sustainable English learning projects and farming projects, I hardly ever hear of developed, sustainable arts programs. And I completely understand the priorities, but I can't help thinking that a community that can eat and speak the lingua franca is missing something if they can't in someway add to the cultural richness around and within them...if they're locking up their kids literally and figuratively. Way to respectfully but courageously challenge that mentality! :)

Oh yeah! That's the other thing I wanted to add:
I saw the same thing happen in Morocco...a woman teacher meant a flood of male students and a male teacher meant a packed room of giggling females. Very frustrating! Here's an idea that the Peace Corps would never go for, but maybe you could try in your next endeavor: try team leading with a female teacher? Then not only would you probably get a mix of gender in your participants, but you'd send a powerful message to the kids about female leadership and equality. Just an idea. :)

12:03 PM  
Blogger akula said...

This is the best entry yet. I do hope however that you post more regularly.

9:11 PM  
Blogger ted said...

Very cool post, bro.
this is the kind of thing i would wonder about, like what you eat and how far you travel to work, etc.
I really like hearing about how the students in Malaysia act in school and whatnot, because it seems so far that there are myriad similarities to the students at Flanders elementary in East Lyme, or Gales Ferry Elementary school.
keep up the good work, Len!
you rule!

1:42 AM  
Blogger Len said...

Ellen in Connecticut:
I teach high school age students, 13-18. Most of the students in those pictures are 16 years old or so, with a few younger ones (like the upside down gentleman). Great to hear about your relative who has had such success (is there any other definition other than Unitarian success?) ;-) In my opinion, such people are the best diplomats that the U.S. could ever ask for.

Scott:
I'm sure that the local culture was vastly different, and perhaps not as inclusive as the one I'm a part of in Malaysia. One thing that I've noticed about my time here is that because Malaysia is such a diverse place, and has been a trade center for quite some time, differences (at least initially) are celebrated and welcomed as many many different types of people come and go. From what I understand about life on mainland China, the population's homogeneity may make it difficult for an outsider to really become part of the community within a year's time.

Kari:
Don't be fooled; I'm only showing the good parts. There is a good deal that I do not feel comfortable discussing on the internet, not yet anyway. Granted, life tends to be simpler and slower, but people are people regardless of race, religion, or gender and I see all of the same things in people here as I do in the states. You know, when I came here, I came open to the idea that maybe life would be better here, and maybe people in the U.S. have started to miss out on things. What I've learned now is that things are not better, nor are they worse. They are just different. each culture has its own set of benefits and challenges, but in the end they all balance out to the same degree (if you ask me).

x-eyed jules:
Thank you so much for reading! I will most definitely take a look at your blog, and I'm so happy that you find my rantings interesting. Keep in touch!

jessica:
Good luck on your application! I know it is a long and tedious process, but totally worth it. Hopefully by this time next year, you will be sipping coconuts and living the good life. Keep it up!

Nancy:
A female Len? Maybe I have a long lost sister... I would love to meet her when I come back, and that should be fairly soon. The play was a great deal of fun, and brought back many fond memories of my theatre days. I'm still trying to upload the video somehow, but I have to find a way to rip it off of a DVD first.

Katie:
You are right on the money. There are a great many ways in which conservative and liberal values are clashing here, and I take a look at some of those ways in my next blog entry. The country is displaying growing pains of various sorts, but the conflict between conservatism and liberalism is not unique to Malaysia, or even this part of the world, and in the grand scheme of things there has not yet been any bloodshed as a result in nearly forty years, although political rhetoric has been growing increasingly hostile as of late. In other words, it could be a lot worse.
Now, if I may paraphrase your question, I hope you will forgive me. I believe you are asking whether or not paternalistic (extremely protective) attitudes toward young women are the result of an environment where young women are seriously at risk or instead the result of cultural values. In my personal opinion, the latter is a far greater contributor to this style of decision making than anything else. Crimes against women to happen, but I do not believe they happen enough to sincerely justify the need to protect women with such strict rules. Keep in mind that I live in a very conservative and rural part of the country and in more developed parts, not only is the population more diverse, but generally much more liberal. And even in my region, I would like to believe that there are a significant portion of people who do not agree with such ideas, perhaps even the majority. Also, out of the thirteen Americans in my program that taught in this conservative and rural area, eleven are women and none of them have been attacked, although admittedly several have felt uncomfortable on occasion.

Erica:
Thank you! I had a great time doing it, and it brought back many great memories from doing theatre at Ledyard High School. I do hope that this project will, in fact, be part of a stable tradition that lasts as long as the Malaysian Fulbright program holds together. As of right now, there should be another American at my school next year and I hope they will choose to continue some of the things that I have started. Unlike the Peace Corps, this program has almost no support system for its participants and my projects, although I have had an amazing amount of help from my school, are the fruits of my own motivation. Out of a country of 26 million, there are only thirteen American participants, and I sincerely doubt they would ever place more than one teacher at a school. I agree, though, having a "coed" led course would probably draw in a much more balanced crowd, as well as showing the ability of both genders to lead. I wonder how different Morocco and Malaysia are in their beliefs and ideas, or whether or not it would be possible to do a thorough comparison between the two. Hopefully we could try in person in a few short weeks. Save me a spot on your couch!

Akula:
Thanks for reading! I hope to post much more often as well. I'll try and keep things like this coming.

Ted:
You rock dude. Thanks for reading! I'll be back soon enough, and we'll have plenty to talk about.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Amanda Rosenbush said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Amanda Rosenbush said...

Len-- I apologize that it has been so long since I last checked in with you. First, I want to thank you for the advice that you gave me in regard to my Fulbright application. I am applying for an ETA to Brazil! As the deadline approaches, the draft count on my essays only continues to increase. I am trying to remain calm and actively do things to minimize my stress; reading your blog has served as one such positive outlet. Nancy and Brian advised me to take a peak, and let me say that I am an avid fan. Many of the details that you describe make me grin and/or chuckle as they remind me of nuances that I myself encountered during my study abroad in Spain--i.e. odd looks received while running along the city streets. It brings me such joy to see that you too are experiencing the wonders of international exchange. Time to get back to revising Fulbright essays for now! Take care, continue to enjoy every moment, and get in touch with me when you return so that you can share with me your experiences live, and in person!

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hye... Pak cik Garam... Still remember us??? Luqman & Faiz... Nice Blog.. I nearly cry when read all your story about kemaman and malaysia.. So, when you comeback here????



Luqman n Faiz from Kemaman..Malaysia

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hye len..
its me..
waheeda..
its been so long that i've not seen u right??
i juz finish my spm last year..
so do wawa..
do u still remeber her??
the crazy n hillarious speaky girl??
hehehe..
i juz finish readin ur blogs..
n i found thats we all 2gether had spent so many memories together right..
i miss u lot len..
gonna miss ur crazy face..
ermmmm..
u r the best ETA...
so,when u gonna stepped ur foot at tepces again??
sorry..
my english is so terrible..
but i hope that u will undrstand wat i'm syin juz now..
gotta go len..
we all miss u!!!!!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page